Contractor Damaged Your Property?

small picture of attorney bill henry
By: Bill Henry
PublishedDec 15, 2021
2 minute read

If your contractor damaged your property instead of improving it, you may be able to recover money for the damage. If you find yourself in this situation, our civil litigation attorneys recommend you do three things to help solidify your case. Find out what the three steps are in this article.

Get Your Contractor to Pay for Their Damage

If you want to sue your contractor for the damage he or she caused to your property, give our Civil Litigation Team a call at 303-688-0944 to being your case assessment. You can also schedule yourself online when you click here.

Get Your Contractor to Pay for the Damage to Your Property

If your contractor damaged your property, your case will likely go one of two ways: a breach of contract action or a negligence action. We’ll need a few things from you to determine which direction to proceed. For instance, you’ll need proof that the contractor owed you a duty and that he or she breached that duty in some way and caused damage to your property.

Snap Some Photos

The first thing you’ll want to do is take some pictures of the damage. Take numerous photos showing the damage from various angles.

The photos will show us the breach of duty or the breach of the contract.

Get a Copy of Your Contract

Hopefully, you have a written contract that outlines the scope of work the contractor was supposed to perform on your property. If you do not have a contract on paper, there are workarounds, such as emails, text messages, and other forms of communication to show you and the contractor had an agreement.

The contract itself will show us the duty on the part of the contractor.

Value the Damaged Property

You’ll also want to put a dollar figure on the value of the property that was damaged. This can be easier said than done depending on what was damaged.

If the contractor damaged an item such as a refrigerator, you can quite easily find out what it will cost to replace it. If the damage was done to your home, let’s say flooring, you can approach another contractor to give you a quote for the repairs.

We can use the receipt or the quote from another contractor to show the value of the damage.

Let’s Recover Money if Your Contractor Damaged Your Property

Our civil litigation attorneys have various legal tools to get your damaged property repaired or replaced. We may be able to get the contractor to pay for your losses without having to file a lawsuit. Call 303-688-0944 to talk with an attorney about your case or schedule the meeting online.

More Than Just Lawyers. Lawyers for Your Life.

Learn more about our law firm’s philosophy and values.