My wife wants to relocate the children outside of Colorado


We have not had our initial status conference yet with the court, my wife filled a motion to relocate the children out of state. There is no parenting plan set yet or child support order set by the court since she has only filled for divorced and I have only filled the response. The initial status conference its on Jan 14th 2016.

Marked as spam
Posted by Al
Asked on January 6, 2016 9:35 am
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

A request to relocate a child out of state is a scenario that happens relatively frequently and is well resolved in the law. There are actually two differing standards under which the parents and the Court may discerning whether a relocation is appropriate, one pre-decree and one post-decree. Your message affirms you are not yet married and there is no parenting plan yet in place. Thus, you would be using a standard that could allow a primary parent to relocate more easily from some perspectives. However, it is most definitely NOT a foregone conclusion that your wife may relocate with your child. I will need much more detail with respect to parenting history, the relocating parent’s intentions and details regarding the child to assess the likelihood and appropriate responses. I highly recommend that you meet with a lawyer to discuss your options and an appropriate response to the motion to relocate.

Marked as spam
Posted by James Garts (Questions: 0, Answers: 0)
Answered on January 6, 2016 10:04 am