Contractor dispute & attorney’s fees


If a contractor damages parts of a house while working on it and subsequently repairs those damages in a substandard manner – materials as well as workmanship – that is not in compliance with building codes, will the courts award attorney’s fees to the consumer if/when she prevails? What other options does the consumer have if the contractor refuses to address the defects and will only agree to arbitration and she does not have the money to hire an attorney? In this case, it will be easy to show that the contractor materially breached the contract.

Marked as spam
Posted by Anonymous
Asked on July 5, 2020 12:23 pm
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

May you be awarded attorney fees as a portion of your damages recovery? The answer is probably....this will depend upon several factors such as your original contract, the history of this contractor, the significance of damages, is this your personal residence, etc.
If you do not intend to hire an attorney, I recommend contact our attorneys to review your rights, remedies, option, likelihood of success, etc. Then you can decide it you wish to bring this suit on your own or if you want to have an attorney assist you.

Marked as spam
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 153)
Answered on July 5, 2020 5:15 pm