How would child support work if child does not spend majority of time with either parent.


Our daughter goes to a private boarding school in another state on a scholarship. Her primary residence will be my ex wife’s house but will only live there in the summer and will split holidays with each of us. Also she turned 17 in October. We are in agreement that neither should have to pay support to the other.

Marked as spam
Posted by Higgy98
Asked on February 2, 2016 11:43 am
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

Thank you for your comment and question. Typically, the Courts cannot deviate from the child support guidelines aside from a really good reason that meets the statutory requirements. Although still rare, it is possible to agree upon and have the Court enter an Order for non-guideline but still appropriate support for your daughter. To achieve such an order there must be an appropriate discussion with the Court concerning the child support statute and a judicial officer’s limited legal permission to deviate from the guidelines due to the inequity, injustice or inappropriateness of the plain application of the child support guidelines.

Marked as spam
Posted by James Garts (Questions: 0, Answers: 0)
Answered on February 2, 2016 2:03 pm