contractor ran away with deposit


HI there,
I had entered into an agreement for a contractor to do some work on my house here in Colorado. We agreed to a 50% deposit $2,500, and that was paid on Feb 26th. He has since moved to AZ and has not started any of the work. After numerous attempts to contact him, he called back last week and agreed to refund me the $2,500 and said it would be paid by Monday (June 30th). He never paid, and has now discontinued his mobile phone so there is no way for us to reach him. How can we go about getting our $2,500 back?

Marked as spam
Posted by Anonymous
Asked on July 1, 2020 9:02 am
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

Do you have legal recourse here? Yes, a violation of the Colo Trust Fund Act carries very stiff penalties for the contractor/violator. Because the contractor is now no longer in CO does complicate the matter. And, collectability can be problematic.
I recommend that you discuss these issues in a one on one free case assessment with our real estate/litigation attorneys. Just call 303-688-0944 (24/7) or schedule online at At your appointment, we'll meet via telephone or video (Zoom) we'll discuss your rights, remedies, risks, the law, the process, timeline, how we can help, costs, etc.

Marked as spam
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 244)
Answered on July 3, 2020 4:03 pm