can i divorce if the spouse is not in the country


My spouse got voluntary departure to Mexico four years ago. I have no address or phone number for him. Can I file for divorce?

Marked as spam
Posted by Barbara
Asked on February 18, 2016 8:38 am
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

You can. There are various jurisdictional considerations that you’ll have to manage and overcome but regardless of whether you presently know where your spouse is living, it is still possible to obtain a divorce either by locating him and serving him with a petition for dissolution of marriage or otherwise by making reasonable efforts to obtain service of the petition upon him personally and if unsuccessful, obtain permission from the court to achieve personal jurisdiction over your spouse by posting notice of the proceeding as permitted by law.

Marked as spam
Posted by James Garts (Questions: 0, Answers: 0)
Answered on February 18, 2016 9:56 am