Bonus contract dispute


In the interest of time, I will keep the details as simple as possible. I signed a “Retention Bonus” contract with a government contractor and believe that I fulfilled the terms of the contract. At the time of my departure, I signed paperwork that did not indicate that anything was owed to them at the time of my departure from that company. Several months after leaving, I received a bill in the mail, attempting to recover the retention bonus. I asked the company for proof that I still owed them and to address y concerns that I signed separation paperwork saying that I owed them nothing further. They refused to address these concerns, instead sending an official letter demanding payment. Additionally, they contacted my current employer to attempt to recover the funds. While I understand that contacting my current employer may have been illegal were they classified as a “debt collector” but since they are likely not, do I have any protection in this case from them contacting my current employer? They clearly meant to cause personal harm through this contact. I never refused to pay back the money, I only asked for evidence that I still owed it. The amount is $10,000, so I am trying to assess if it is worth hiring an attorney to attempt to resolve this situation. Thank you!

Marked as spam
Posted by Anonymous
Asked on July 27, 2020 5:57 am
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

$10,000 is a lot of money. Based on your facts, I suspect that having an attorney respond to the demand, essentially telling them to pound sand and also providing some reasons why the money is not owed will help to get this resolved quickly.
You can schedule a free case assessment 24/7 by calling 303-688-0944 or online at /locations. At your appointment, we'll meet by phone or video (Zoom), we'll discuss your contract, the current demands and contact with your new employer, desired results, rights, remedies, the law, the process, timeline, how we can help, costs, etc

Marked as spam
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 282)
Answered on July 27, 2020 7:34 am