My husband left three years ago. We have no children and no assets to divide. He has lots of medical bills 1. Can I divorce him without his signature? 2 can o make him responsible for his bills?

Marked as spam
Posted by Jojo
Asked on January 16, 2016 10:23 pm
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

In Colorado we have what is known as “no fault” divorces, also known as a Dissolution of Marriage. That means there is no real consequence to one spouse leaving the other or vice-versa. However, it is possible to divide the marital estate (and debts) unequally if the parties agree or the Court decides it is most equitable to do so. It is possible to get divorced without his signature but he has to know of it and you have to seek valid service to obtain appropriate personal jurisdiction to obtain the divorce. The important thing to note here is that the longer you and he are separated without a divorce, the more complicated your case can become. The division of the marital estate does not take place upon separation, it happens when the divorce takes place, which will be at least 92 days from the date you file a petition and potentially longer if all issues are not resolved by agreement.

Marked as spam
Posted by James Garts (Questions: 0, Answers: 0)
Answered on January 18, 2016 7:40 am