Colorado Immigration Lawyers

small picture of attorney bill henry
By: Bill Henry
PublishedJun 6, 2022
4 minute read

U.S. immigration law is complex and ever-changing; navigating it can seem overwhelming in the best of times and downright impossible in the moments of deep uncertainty that often accompany immigration matters. The Colorado immigration lawyers at Robinson & Henry, P.C. understand what’s at stake in immigration cases and are here to be your ally and your lighthouse as you navigate these often choppy waters.

Colorado Immigration Lawyers

Whether you’re fighting to protect the life you’ve built here, you’re in limbo, or somewhere between your native country and building a life in the U.S., you can count on Robinson & Henry’s Colorado immigration lawyers to help with immigration matters from obtaining visas to avoiding deportation. To schedule a case assessment call 303-688-0944. Si gustaría hablar con nosotros en español, por favor llámenos al 720-359-2442.

Picture of immigration legal services

Immigration Issues We Handle and Services We provide

U.S. Work Permits (Employment Authorization Document, Form I-765)

In order to work in the United States, all workers – citizens or not – must prove their eligibility. For U.S. citizens this proof comes in the form of their U.S. driver’s license, birth certificate, or passport. You don’t have to be a citizen, however, to be authorized to work in the United States; some immigrants and nonimmigrants are eligible to obtain a work document, formally called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

A work permit is a laminated card that contains basic information about the worker, including a photo and information about the worker’s immigration status. You can submit this permit to an employer as proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.

We have a very informative legal guide that provides important information about who is eligible to apply for an EAD and the application and renewal process. Our Colorado immigration lawyers can help you compile and submit the proper paperwork so you can achieve your employment goals.

Form I-130, Family Based Petition

An I-130 form is an immigration form used by a U.S. citizen or legal resident who is petitioning for a family member wanting to immigrate to the United States. It’s important to understand that not all family members are eligible under this petition and that the type of family member depends on the petitioner’s immigration status. For example, a U.S. citizen can petition to bring their sibling or parent over while a green card holder cannot.

This type of petition requires evidence of the petitioner’s immigration (or citizenship) status as well as proof that the beneficiary is related to the petitioner. Because USCIS reviews each petition rigorously, even the smallest mistake, missing information, inconsistency, or lack of substantial evidence causes many petitioners to have their applications delayed and even denied.

You can learn more about how to sponsor an immigrant spouse; how to avoid some of the most common filing mistakes; what is required of the petitioner; and how our Colorado immigration lawyers will help you build a strong case.

Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status (U Visa)

This petition is for immigrants who have been the victim of certain serious crimes and are assisting U.S. law enforcement with an investigation.

Examples of serious crimes include, but are not limited to:

  • abduction
  • extortion
  • blackmail
  • domestic violence
  • incest
  • FGM (female genital mutilation)
  • murder
  • torture
  • trafficking
  • perjury
  • obstruction of justice

It’s important to note a U visa provides only temporary immigration benefits to foreign nationals. The noncitizen immigrant will need a judge, police officer, prosecutor, or other law enforcement official to fill out the certification of helpfulness as part of this application.

The noncitizen victim may also include their family in this petition by submitting Supplement A. Learn more about U visas and how our Colorado immigration lawyers can help you.

Form I-360, Violence Against Women Act

This immigration form is intended to provide relief for noncitizen immigrants who are facing abuse from their spouse or parent who is either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Normally, the noncitizen is reliant on the U.S. Citizen/permanent resident to change their immigration status, but the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows the battered person to self-petition. This avenue allows the victim to safely and independently change their immigration status without the abuser knowing.

The petitioner must provide evidence of the abuse (whether it was physical, sexual, emotional, or economic), as well as evidence of their own good moral character. Those who have criminal marks on their record, like drug abuse, may be ineligible to become permanent residents. However, waivers do exist to help immigrants who may have some sort of negative record, but the type of waiver depends on the person’s individual circumstance. Read more about VAWA green cards.

Our Colorado Immigration Lawyers Can Assist You With:

  • Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Employment Based Petition)
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status
  • Form I-589, Application for Asylum
  • I-485 Adjust Status for 245(i) (Green Card through LIFE Act)
  • Concurrent filling of Forms I-130 and I-485
  • Form I-601A, Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver or Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility
  • Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States after Deportation or Removal
  • Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (Conditional Status Removal)
  • Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status
  • Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship
  • Form EOIR-42A, Cancellation of Removal and Adjustment of Status for Certain Permanent Residents
  • Form EOIR-42B, Cancellation of Removal and Adjustment of Status for Certain Nonpermanent Residents
  • Help with Consular Processing
  • Help with bond hearings
  • Freedom of Information Act requests
  • Formal Representation (Voluntary Leave or Cancellation of Removal)
  • Representation for asylum seekers (asylum hearings, retention, Convention Against Torture)
  • Formal Request for Fiscal Discretion (Termination or Administrative Closure)


We know that money is a major concern for our clients. That is why our Colorado immigration lawyers believe in charging ethical fees. Depending on your case, we charge hourly rates or flat fees.

Additional Immigration Resources

The 4 Biggest Mistakes U.S. Visa Holders Make: All visas have conditions that the visa holder must meet in order to stay in compliance with the law. If those conditions are violated, then the visa holder can face deportation, denial of entry, detention, and violations that stay on your immigration record permanently. Your best bet is to read your visa’s fine print, always err on the side of caution, and don’t commit any of these common mistakes.

Why You Should NOT Hire a Notario in the U.S.: Notario publico sounds a lot like notary public, right? It’s easy to think the two are the same thing, that a notario publico in Mexico or Latin America is the same as a notary public in the United States. But there are actually major differences between the two, and U.S. immigrants should use caution when seeking help with immigration matters from a notary – or someone claiming to be a notario – in the U.S.

5 Reasons Why Green Card Holders Should Naturalize: Becoming a naturalized citizen might not be an easy process – logistically or emotionally – but citizenship comes with many benefits for LPRs.

Let Our Colorado Immigration Lawyers Fight for You

Whether you’re fighting to protect the life you’ve built here, you’re in limbo, or somewhere between your native country and building a life in the U.S., you can count on Robinson & Henry’s Colorado immigration attorneys to help with immigration matters from obtaining visas to avoiding deportation. To schedule a case assessment call 303-688-0944. Si gustarÍa hablar con nosotros en español, por favor llámenos al 720-359-2442.

More Than Just Lawyers. Lawyers for Your Life.

Learn more about our law firm’s philosophy and values.