“My general theory of practice is to seek collaborative resolutions and amicable agreements between parties because that’s usually best. However, I have the personality and strength of character to bring cases through trial … When children are involved, their best interest should direct that litigation, however, my client’s interests and goals will always be my focus.”
Education & Bar Admissions
- Juris Doctor, Law – Samford University Cumberland School of Law, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts, Sociology – Colorado College, 1999
- Bar Admissions: Colorado Bar 2006, Tennessee Bar 2002 (Inactive)
- Included in the Twenty-fourth Edition of The Best Lawyers in America© for Family Law
- Lead Counsel Rated
- 10.0 Avvo Rating
- Denver Business Journal’s Top 50 Largest Law Firms, 2016 Edition
- A+ Rated by the BBB, Robinson & Henry, P.C.
Publications & Speaking Events
- Co-author, “How to Hire a Lawyer,” Denver Bar Association Docket Magazine, September 2017
- Article, “Denver Domestic Relations ‘Firefighters,'” Denver Bar Association Docket, 2014
- Article, “Serving the Moderate-Income Client, A Win-Win,” Denver Bar Association Docket, 2013
- Faculty Member/Panelist, 2017 Annual Family Law Institute CLE, “Pros, Cons and Ethics of Offering Unbundled Services in Family Law”
- Doyle Inn of Court Training Program, “Professionalism: Lawyer Lifestyle,” 2013
- CBA-CLE Representing the Moderate Income Client, “Representing the Moderate Income Client,” 2012
- El Paso County Young Lawyer Continuing Education Seminar, “Staying Afloat in the Current Economy & Tips, Tricks and Hints for your New Practice,” 2009
- Business Law Course, Guest Lecturer, 2008 and 2009
- Young Lawyers Division Continuing Education Seminar, Speaker, 2008
- Young Lawyers Division Continuing Education Seminar, Organizer, 2008
- Coach and Instructor, Advanced Family Law, University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Rhone Brackett Inn of Court
“I can’t say enough about how happy I am with James and the service he provided me. From my perspective there is absolutely no question that he outperformed opposing counsel whom my ex paid nearly double in fees.”
Read the entire review
James Garts leads the Robinson & Henry family law practice in Denver. With over 13 years of experience, James oversees a dedicated team of attorneys and support staff with one goal in mind: obtaining the best possible outcome in a difficult family situation.
James began his legal career in Memphis, Tennessee and initially worked in a variety of legal areas ranging from criminal law to medical malpractice defense. He was always interested in equity and the harm injustice inflicts upon society. A graduate of Colorado College, he was lured back to Colorado by his love of the state in 2006. He passed the Colorado Bar that same year and, soon after, focused his Colorado practice in the field of family law. He considers family law a place to pursue equity with the goal of limiting the fallout of divorce on families.
James is an active volunteer with the Colorado Bar Association and has been the chairperson of both the Young Lawyers Division and the Membership Services Committee, a member of the CBA Economic Task Force, served a term on the CBA Executive Counsel and was the young lawyer liaison to the CBA Board of Governors. At the local bar association level, he was formerly appointed to the 1st Judicial District Board of Trustees and for a time served as its liaison to the CBA Board of Governors.
He is an avid road and mountain bicyclist and supports trail conservation and common-use efforts.