Education & Bar Admissions
- Juris Doctor, University of Idaho, 2004 – 2007
- Bachelors of Arts, Global Economics, Brigham Young University, 1997 – 2001
- Bar Admissions: Colorado Bar, 2007
- 10 Best Attorneys for Client Satisfaction from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys for 2015, 2016, and 2017
- 2017 Professional of the Year Award from the Douglas and Elbert County Bar Association
- 10 out of 10 Avvo rating
- Denver Business Journal’s Top 50 Largest Law Firms, 2016 Edition
- A+ Rated by the BBB, Robinson & Henry, P.C.
Publications & Speaking Events
- “The Colorado Common Law Marriage Conundrum,” Pikes Peak Lawyer, El Paso County Bar Association magazine
- Speaker, Bankruptcy Law seminar for Partners in Housing Nonprofit, 2017
- Co-wrote: Modifying Child Support, 2017
- Speaker, Current State of Family Law in Douglas County for Castle Rock Rotary Club
- Elected official on Castle Rock’s Town Council
- Council member for District 2 in Castle Rock
- National Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
English, Spanish, and Portuguese
One of the most rewarding aspects of practicing family law is the privilege to help people navigate their way through some of the most difficult times in their lives. It is challenging work, but extremely gratifying.
James leads Robinson & Henry’s Colorado Springs office where he also serves as the lead family law attorney. For over a decade he has worked in the Colorado court system, navigating families through legal issues with compassion and integrity.
James’ career began auspiciously, when, as a law student, he was able to work on a case that went to the Colorado Supreme Court in 2007. Co-writing the Petition for Writ of Certiorari in In re Adoption of C.A., 137 P.3d 318 (Colo. 2006), James’ pivotal role resulted in changes to the grandparent visitation law in Colorado. It is the case that still defines the standard for grandparent visitation today.
Building on this unique insight into grandparent rights and child custody law, James continued his distinguished career as a Colorado State Public Defender, gaining intensive trial and litigation experience. Today, he helps families advocate for their rights both in the courtroom and through settlements.
James has lived abroad in Mexico and Brazil and is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese. He enjoys camping and hiking in Colorado’s amazing mountains.
“Met with James and he was honest and straight to the point. Even gave us tips to save some money! I will be hiring this guy when the time is right!” – Jennifer, 2017