1099 taxes


If I filed on my return on 1099 form I received from my employer the past couple years and I believe it is wrong he never gave me a detailed document Stating all the money that was paid out to me can I amend the past couple of years of my 1099
Also gave me a w2 and i never received a paycheck for

Marked as spam
Posted by Anonymous
Asked on September 2, 2020 7:38 am
Public question
Disclaimer: The response posted below is based upon the information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney. No Q&A posting or other communication will be treated as confidential from this website and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Private answer

You may amend your tax returns any time that you would like. A claim for a refund, however, must be filed within 3 years from the time the return was filed or 2 years from the time the tax was paid (whichever is later). if you amend your tax return and the amount of income reported does not match the amount reported on the 1099, then the IRS may deny the amendment to the return or otherwise conduct an audit. At a minimum you would want to fully disclose your position when amending the return and your basis for doing so.

I would suggest contacting your employer and request that they file a corrected 1099. At a minimum be prepared to provide evidence of the actual amount paid.

Finally, an independent contractor would not receive a W-2, which is a Wage and Tax Statement. A W-2 is sent to employees. You cannot be both an independent contractor and an employee at the same time.

It would be wise to speak with a tax attorney. If you would like to speak with a tax attorney at Robinson & Henry, schedule an assessment online 24/7 by going to go.oncehub.com/rhbooknow or calling us at 303-688-0944.

Good luck!

Marked as spam
Posted by Bill Henry (Questions: 1, Answers: 75)
Answered on September 2, 2020 9:03 am